The Commonwealth of Virginia's Ultimate Blog

Saturday, January 14, 2006

They should've lost this one at Roanoke....

Under any circumstances. Don't. Just don't. I don't care how good it may look in those previews. Hell, I caught a glimpse of the HBO making of the other night. It was 10 times as entertaining, so don't be fooled!

I felt lucky enough to get a chance to see the very Commonwealth -centric Terrence Malik flick at a screening in Richmond courtesy of the Virginia Film Society. The movie stars Collin Farrell as John Smith, Christian "Waiting for the next Batman movie" Bale as John Rolfe, and the gorgeous young Q'Orianka Kilcher as Pocahontas. The movie which clocks in at over 3 hours is a non-stop subdued introspective look at events through the eyes of the main "characters." The term is loosely applied, as these actors are really just portraits of characters. And that almost sounds like how I describe the acting and development in one of my favorite films, Wes Anderson's The Royal Tenenbaums, but believe me when I say you can only take so much of your spoken dialogue in a hushed montone incomplete sentence-structure voice over. Go watch the Disney musical and enjoy the fun songs rather than have anything to do with this awful movie. Don't go see it.

By the way, it was shot completely inside the Commonwealth except for a few scenes in England, including the one where Pocahontas says "Did you find your Indies, Captain Smith" and then Phone Booth looks back at her and says wistuflly "I think I may have sailed past them."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home