The Commonwealth of Virginia's Ultimate Blog

Thursday, December 30, 2004

UVA Season in Review

Now that I have finally come to grips with UVA losing its first bowl under the watch of Al Groh, I can finally talk about it without intense pain. Honestly, this season was an awful season for UVA football, perhaps most of all because of the great expectations and the team's complete inability to live up to any of them. I was in Doak Campbell Stadium in Tallahassee when we brought our #6 ranking to the game and got spanked 36-3. I ran out of material to trash talk with the swarm of FSU students around me after one quarter of playing. It was simply embarassing. It wasn't even competitive. I was at Scott Stadium when Miami threw a 25 year touchdown strike on 4th down witn a minute remaining to seal the game. I refused to make the trip to Blacksburg to be disappointed yet again. Then we managed to go to a horrible bowl, much lower than our seeding in the conference, and then blew a huge lead in the bowl as well. UVA lived up to none of its expectations, did not beat a single ranked team, did not a win a single game I truly cared about. All in all, it was one of the most miserable seasons that I have watched. Where did all the offensive ingenuity and creativity go? Where did the ability to come from behind disappear to? Why are we now having other teams come from behind to beat us? I don't have an explanation, but I was definitely reminded of the late George Welsh years. Al Groh lost his nerve. I still can't believe he didn't got for it on fourth down and one on the Virginia Tech 25 yard line in the 2nd quarter. Perhaps the worst call he has ever made. The playcalling at Florida State was also disgusting. Groh definitely has changes he needs to make and some questions he needs to answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home