The Commonwealth of Virginia's Ultimate Blog

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

More McCain

Judging from this Washington Post column that tries hard to paint McCain as a conservative, I think it is safe to say that Democrats are pretty scared of this guy being the GOP nominee. I agree with some of the comments below that are skeptical of McCain chances to do just that, but I would remind folks that there was a time when many Republicans thought that Bob Dole was too "moderate" to win the GOP nomination.

Bottom Line: Never underestimate the ability of the GOP to nominate someone because it is "their turn." It doesn't make it a good idea, it's just the truth.

2 Comments:

Blogger Virginia Centrist said...

Let me amend my comments on a thread below:

It's POSSIBLE that McCain gets the nomination.

But only if Hillary is running 15 points ahead of every other GOP nominee. Only if it looks reasonable that Hillary will be elected president in 2008.

That will scare the bajesus out of conservatives and they'll throw ideology out the window and vote for a sure winner.

4:53 PM

 
Blogger Old Zach said...

I think McCain has plenty of time to butter up the GOP grassroots and I wouldn't bet against him being able to raise enough money to pull it off. Particularly with economic conservatives so turned off by the Bush Administration, I think conservatives are skeptical of McCain, but I don't think he's anathema.

5:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home