The Commonwealth of Virginia's Ultimate Blog

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Ash Wednesday

I'm not Catholic, but I believe today is an important day in the Christian calendar nonetheless. Frankly I wish that Protestant churches would put more emphasis on the period of Lent as we prepare to celebrate the ultimate sacrifice of God's only son to save all mankind from our sins.

I am fasting from all food throughout the day and will be attending evening mass with some Catholic friends. Today is a good day for all Christians to meditate in our own way, reflect on our lives, and think about how we can better serve the Lord and each other in the year to come.

4 Comments:

Blogger too conservative said...

agreed on the protestant comment.

3:05 PM

 
Anonymous Singleton said...

I think the important sentiment is that all Christians need to focus on how to serve Christ year-round rather than a new emphasis on formalism.

7:47 PM

 
Anonymous NoVA Scout said...

I'm an old-line Anglican. We had about 500 people tonight at our Ash Wednesday service. It was very impressive for a number of reasons, but I noted that the average age of the congregants was very low. I'm an old geezer, but it cheered me immensely to see so many 20-somethings.

9:55 PM

 
Blogger James Atticus Bowden said...

Big tent Christianity means some folks who like a liturgy, liturgical calendar and ceremony do that. Others who don't need that, do something else. All parts of the same body of Christ in this generation.

11:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home