Transportation Funding Idea
I was mulling over the recent subcommittee vote in the GA and had a funding idea.
What if there was some way to only tax the people who rode Metro?
I'm not sure of the details but it's basically like this:
1) Figure out what it costs to operate Metro. What you would do is add up all of Metro's costs.
2) Figure out who rides Metro. I'm not sure if there should be surveys, or polls, or what.
3) Figure out some way of taxing people based on how often they ride Metro.
We could do the same thing for roads:
1) Figure out how much roads cost.
2) Figure out who uses the roads.
3) Tax people based on how often they use roads. You could even put some sort of device behind a car's rear-view mirror that could be scanned at different places on a road. If there is some item of consumption that people buy that roughly correlates to the amount they use roads, then you could tax that.