The Commonwealth of Virginia's Ultimate Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Restoring Civility to the Blogosphere

Jaded JD looks to be back in action and I say "Welcome Back!" Jaded JD is one of the smartest bloggers in the biz and even though we don't agree on everything I'm glad to see him back trying to raise the level of debate.

Apparently his blogroll post has bruised the substantial ego of some VA politicos, and that's a good thing in my book. I generally agree with his rules and I have certainly tried to keep our blogroll short and constrained to the blogs that I read regularly and like. If that offends you, well, too bad.

As The Jaded JD fits those criteria, and not out of any obligation to reciprocate, you can see that I've already taken the step of putting him on our blogroll.

3 Comments:

Blogger Waldo Jaquith said...

I'm glad you wrote that aside about not having any obligation to reciprocate. I've never liked the I-linked-you-now-you-link-me approach.

Just because I enjoy reading Shaun Kenney's site (to pick somebody at random) doesn't mean that he enjoys reading mine, and I wouldn't expect him to link to my site if he didn't. It would never cross my mind to check his site and see if he links to me and, if he did, to somehow treat him differently.

10:15 PM

 
Blogger SouthoftheJames.com said...

It's interesting to see how these social rules shift over time. When I first got started with my blog, I was under the impression that linking to those who linked to you was par for the course. Now, it's blogwhoring. I don't have a problem either way, but I'm a little behind the technology, so my links are a bit behind the times I guess.

Still, I honestly try to read at least every regularly updated blog that I link to at least once a week.

1:26 AM

 
Blogger criticallythinking said...

I just thought it was funny that TooConservative posted to recommend




TooConservative.


Nothing like a little self-promotion? But you'd think with 145,000 hits (I think that means people viewing them, not the number of times TRUE conservatives pounded their keyboards in frustration at TOO conservative's faux conservative stances) would have trusted that one of their loyal readers would nominate them, rather than feeling they better throw their own name into the ring.

12:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home