The Commonwealth of Virginia's Ultimate Blog

Friday, January 06, 2006

Vick is Gone

Well, it's official. Marcus Vick has been dismissed from the Virginia Tech football team.

Apparently, in addition to his on-field transgressions, Vick was caught speeding with a revoked license on Dec. 17 in Hampton.

I must say that, despite my calls for his removal, I am not happy that his career has ended this way. Marcus is a very taleted player who has done great things for the team on the field this year. Unfortunately, there is a level of maturity that has escaped him to this point in his life. I wish Marcus the best in the future and I hope he will eventually grow up. I would not be surprised to see him go ahead and put his name in the NFL draft and be drafted.

I agree with this decision and I am glad that Virginia Tech can now move on and start a new era. While many Hokies are predicting doom and gloom for years to come, I am confident about VT's future. We have had some tremendous recruiting classes in recent years and there is a great deal of talent on both sides of the ball. While I doubt the Hokies will be competing for an ACC championship next year, I do think we will still be a force to be reckoned with in the ACC for years to come.

Let the Sean Glennon (or Cory Holt, or Ike Whittaker, or Greg Boone) era begin.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kold_Kadavr_flatliner said...

Feliz navidad, sister! God bless you!

6:26 PM

 
Blogger GOPHokie said...

Not so fast. Ike Whitaker was anywhere from #4 to #7 in the country last year. He may be as good or even better than Marcus. I think we have as good a chance at the ACC next year as any other year (such as 2004).

6:38 PM

 
Blogger great state said...

I agree with gophokie....Someone at work asked me today (before the announcement) what I thought about the situation, and I said that if they decided to kick Marcus off the team, it did not worry me from a football standpoint. We have a number of quarterbacks that came into the university with great potential, and now it is time for one of them to turn that potential into a starting job.

I'm excited to see what spring practice brings for the Hokies, and I hope that Marcus is able to learn from his time at Tech, both on the field and off of it.

7:09 PM

 
Blogger Old Zach said...

I don't think its impossible to compete for teh ACC title next year, I simply doubt it. I have great confidence in either Glennon, Holt or Whittaker stepping up and leading this team. My very premature pick right now is Sean Glennon who is more of a pure drop-back passer and will eb able to get the ball in the hands of our talented receiving corps and let them make plays.

7:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home