The Commonwealth of Virginia's Ultimate Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

We've Got Dirty Laundry

Well, by now everyone has seen the infamous Ken Hutcheson email that is circulating around the blogosphere. I have to say that I am simply amazed at the quickness with which we Republicans seem willing to throw our own to the wolves. Ken Hutcheson and his staff have given everything they have to this campaign for the past couple of years. Having been in their shoes, I have nothing but respect for the men and women who worked on the Kilgore campaign. For fellow Republicans to attack these individuals who sacrificed so much for the good of OUR party is beneath despicable.

Granted, Ken's email was not the most tactful and probably shouldn't have been sent. However, to then turn around and forward that email out to every media outlet in the state is quite petty. I'd prefer that we keep these kind of disputes behind closed doors, but apparently some people feel the need to air our internal business in public.

Maybe some people are afraid to call out these silly actions for fear of being labeled a pro-tax sympathyzer or something. Well, I don't think there's any danger of anyone confusing me for John Chichester. I just find it interesting that many of the same people who praised Jerry and Ken back when we were cruising through a primary and leading Kaine by double digits are now acting like they knew all along we were doomed to fail in this election. That's just revisionist history, plain and simple.

I have a great deal of respect for Jerry Kilgore. I think he is a good person and he would have been a good Governor for Virginia. I also think it is simply too easy to point the finger at any one person, be it Jerry, Ken, Kate, Paul Jost or anybody else, and blame them for our failure to win the Governor's race.

What we need to be doing is not tearing each other down, but rather figuring out how we can do a better job of getting our message to the people of Virginia. I am confident that if we can accomplish that, then the voters will respond positively. This character assassination, however, only makes us look foolish, petty, and desperate. And that does not sound like the Republican Party I have spent my life fighting in the trenches for.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ross said...

I agree with you 100%.

Forwarding on a private email to -- well -- everyone does seem rather childish. Kind of like CC'ing your bosses boss. But then again, no one should ever assume that anything they say via the internet is private. Rookie mistake.

Also for the past year or so I've had a separate gmail address that I email when I feel like bitching someone out. Then a couple days later I go back and see if I really still want to send that email.

12:25 PM

 
Blogger Sam McCord said...

I don't know why anyone would ever send an email to Rodokanakis. (Besides Hutch and then Delegate Dillard back the the beginning of the summer has there been anyone else whose had their words forwarded on?)

Zach I'm with you (and Ross), but it's already been articulated over at too conservative (and I'd link to it but my browser is having trouble!) that Phil, Paul Jost, and the rest of the VCG crew would be amongst the few who did support and promote another candidate over Kilgore-
Mayor George Fitch.

But we have to stop beating up on Kilgore, Hutch, and anyone else in the perceived GOP "establishment", I'm reminded of George Pickett's thoughts on the Confederate defeat at Gettysburg.

"I've always thought the Yankees had something to do with it."

1:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, well, we Dems are sort of standing in the corner whistling, waiting for you to recognize what a good job we did. We did better voter contact, better GOTV, had better ads, and frankly, a more positive and appealing message. We started positive and ran positive all summer. We worked harder: WAY harder. And we won: won a race we and everyone else had thought was a pipe dream when we began. And now we have 4 more years of competant, principled leadership to look forward to. So, yeah, we feel pretty happy about that.

8:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and a plain better candidate. Not that Jerry is a bad person, but he just wasn't the sort of tireless outgoing campaigner that Kaine was. Kilgore was mostly aloof from the public: Kaine waded into the crowds. Kilgore did _5_ public events in the final week of the election. Kaine did almost three times that many every day of that week. Kilgore mostly played to pre-selected groups of friendlies. Kaine risked himself with undecideds. And it paid off. I honestly believe he steadily rose in the polls in part largely because he and his campaign were outpacing the Kilgore folks in just plain talking to more and more voters.

8:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kilgore, not a man of the people? He went to the Redskins game the Sunday before the election and shook a lot of hands in the parking lot. Too bad 60% of those people weren't Virginia voters.

8:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home