The Commonwealth of Virginia's Ultimate Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2005

My Commonwealth, My Party

Now that the sting of Jerry Kilgore's surprising (to me at least) defeat has worn off a bit, It is a good time to reflect on things and ask ourselves where we go from here. I am certain that a lot of this will be done at the RPV Advance (register here, I have!), but here are my two cents, for what it's worth.

I couldn't be more excited about the future of the Republican Party here in Virginia. That might sound strange to say after suffering such a sound defeat for the top job in the state, but overall I feel we have many reasons to be optimistic. While I am disappointed that the people of Virginia chose to entrust the Governorship to someone who I feel is not representative of their interests, I have to concede that the Kilgore campaign ultimately failed to provide voters with a compelling reason to switch teams at a time when most people are relatively happy. I won't engage in placing blame for this outcome on any one person, group, or event, because I believe that doing so over-simplifies what is a complex electoral process. It was a combination of factors that led to Jerry's defeat, but the important thing is that we have an open discussion within our party of what mistakes were made so that we do not repeat them.

On the positive side, Republicans in Virginia have many reasons to be grateful. First of all, we are well represented in Washington. While many folks in the nation's capital seem desperately out of touch with America, we are blessed with two of the finest Senators in the country and we can be sure that they are listening to Virginians and responding to our concerns. Further, we have a great team of Republicans in the House of Representatives. While I'd certainly like to see some more fiscal restraint from that body, I know that several of Virginia's Representatives have the same concerns and are working to restore sanity there.

Here within the state, our Party is as strong as it has ever been. We maintain a majority in both chambers of the General Assembly, we may hold two of the three statewide elected offices, and Republican candidates are finding success at the local level from Chesapeake to Cumberland Gap. We certainly have our differences, as does any family, but our party is strengthened by a free exchange in the marketplace of ideas. I anticipate seeing our Republican legislators continue to work together to achieve the best results for the people of Virginia.

I have no doubt that, moving forward, it will continue to be the Republican Party that motivates citizens to action and generates positive ideas for Virginia's future. There is no shortage of qualified, accomplished Republicans who seek to take their place as candidates and there is no shortage of grassroots Republican activists who will continue to aid in the political process. As we look forward to the re-election of Senator Allen and our Republican members of the House, our party will be energized and organized for success.

We Republicans have a great deal to be proud of, we have a lot to be thankful for, and we have a lot left to accomplish in the coming months and years. I can assure you that I will continue to do everything in my power to support this Grand Old Party, and I hope you will too.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great analysis not to mention encouraging but I can't fawn as much for John Warner. He has disappointed me one too many times.

11:11 PM

 
Blogger Ranger03 said...

True. Warner would not be on my list of "fine" senators. He'd barely make it on my list of "eh" senators.

11:07 AM

 
Anonymous Conservative Majority said...

We have a fine leader in the Lt. Gov.'s office with Bill Bolling. He is a charismatic and inspirational conservative leader.

Bob McDonnell will also be a great Attorney General if he pulls this recount out. Let's hope he is victorious.

Let's also look at the positive side of a Tim Kaine win. 2008 is going to be a very exciting year for bloggers and everyone else in Virginia with both George Allen and Mark Warner running for president. I can't wait!

12:12 PM

 
Anonymous Paul said...

I just want to say that I really appreciate you guys not assuming that the AG's race is over. I'm quite frankly really sick of nonsense from paranoids from both the far left and far right when it comes to close elections...

1:11 PM

 
Blogger too conservative said...

We have a fine leader in the Lt. Gov.'s office with Bill Bolling. He is a charismatic and inspirational conservative leader.


CM-Where are you from?

Bolling puts anyone to sleep.
Horrible candidate.

1:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home