The Commonwealth of Virginia's Ultimate Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Tom Petty to Receive Billboard's Top Honor

I had to throw out this note about my favorite rock artist of all time, Tom Petty. On Dec. 6 at the Billboard Music Awards, Petty will receive The Century Award, Billboard's highest honor for creative achievement. The most exciting news in the article is that Petty's new solo album, Highway Companion, is due out this Spring.

Tom Petty was the first artist I ever saw in concert and no matter how many times I listen to his albums, they never get old. Petty has recorded hit records in each of the past three decades, and it would be nice to see his work get some appreciation in the 21st century as well.

Incidentally, tomorrow will be Tom Petty's 55th birthday. I congratulate Petty for continuing to try to make music that is relevant and meaningful, rather than just resting on his past successes. I continue to hold myself and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers up as proof that not everything that came from the 70s was bad.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Chad said...

I saw Petty from the second row at the Nissan Pavilion six or seven years ago. Great show.

He's well-deserving of this honor.

10:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home