The Commonwealth of Virginia's Ultimate Blog

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Congrats to Matt Wells

Congratulations to Bolling staffer Matt Wells, who manages to mug nearly the entire picture in the print version of this story on Bill Bolling.

It's a good read, and the story finished strong:
"The lesson I learned in'01 was you've got to start early," Bolling said. "So I decided I wasn't going to let anybody get in front of me next time."

Bolling held his first event in March 2002 and has been crisscrossing Virginia since. The party's nomination wasn't automatic. He endured a fierce fight in the June primary against Sean T. Connaughton, chairman of the Prince William County Board of Supervisors.

Bolling spent about $1.7 million to land the nomination in a low-turnout election -- fewer than 4 percent of registered voters participated. That meant he entered the summer almost broke, spending much of the past four months replenishing his treasury.

His main issues include promoting a pro-business environment in Virginia; improving transportation, especially in Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads; creating jobs in economically depressed areas, particularly Southside and Southwest; cracking down on illegal immigrants in Virginia; and fighting gangs.

Bolling holds the endorsement of the National Rifle Association, the Virginia Society for Human Life and the Virginia Farm Bureau's political-action committee, among others.

"I've always appreciated the importance of government and what government could do to help people's lives when it worked the way it was supposed to work, and conversely, what it could do to mess things up."

11 Comments:

Blogger GOPHokie said...

Matt is a great guy.
I think he has a bright future in the Republican party.

5:24 PM

 
Blogger CR UVa said...

I agree with gophokie. He is one of the most outgoing and energetic campaigners I've ever met. His work and friendships in the University of Virginia College Republicans certainly will not be forgotten.

And I will note that I know he does read some of the Commonwealth's blogs, no doubt this one is among the. And no, I am not sucking up to him, though I'll bet if he catches wind of this post, he'll probably question me later anyway.

6:25 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wells is rock solid, good people.

He reversed the failing state CR organization and helped ensure that is grew to the point it is at today (making thousands of dials and knocks for Kilgore in a cohesive organized fashion)... and he helped ensure that good folks took over after him and that they built on his success.

6:30 PM

 
Anonymous GOP Phantom said...

Matt is learning how to run for office from a great teacher - Mr. Bill -
not from his UVA experience.
Matt has a great future in the VAGOP.

6:34 PM

 
Anonymous NotMattWells said...

Matt Wells is a big doofus, but I like him anyway.

8:25 PM

 
Anonymous Uppity Daughter said...

Matt is a very good guy. My dad met him during the primary season and thinks highly of him. It's too bad he fell in with someone like Bolling, but he will survive it.

10:08 PM

 
Anonymous Geesh, that's BIG! said...

That guy (Wells?) has a HUGE head... A lunar eclipse type of head to be sure, though based on what I read here, he's a good fellow, I'm impressed with the size of his mellon.

12:28 AM

 
Anonymous Matt Wells said...

Hey guys, thanks for all of the nice comments, they're greatly appreciated.

That picture is from our war room on primary night. I think the apparent size of my mellon is inversely proportional to the amount of sleep I'd gotten in the last 48 hours (none).

As for the CRs, let's just say that I was privelidged to serve with some very capable and hardworking leaders, both on the UVA and State Exec Boards, and in the general membership.

For the record, I'm very glad this picture didn't wind up in the Commonwealth Conservative's caption contest. Lord knows what Will Vehrs would have to say about my giant noggin...

8 days till victory,
Matt

8:44 AM

 
Anonymous Brian Mazanec said...

Matt Wells is a great American.

2:02 PM

 
Blogger Old Zach said...

Matt Wells is a ten foot tall beastman who showers in vodka and feeds his baby shrimp scampi. I once saw him breastfeed a flamingo back to health. He taught me how to make love to a woman, and how to scold a child.

2:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this is unrelated, but Matt, will you email me? I've lost your email address somehow. Also, congrats on the election. -Joanna

5:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home