The Commonwealth of Virginia's Ultimate Blog

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Brownback Steps Up

Senator Sam Brownback (R-Kansas) today released a statement on the nomination of Harriet Miers that struck a chord of cautious optimism. Here's a sample:
I have said in the past that I would like a nominee with a proven track record on important issues to all Americans and whose judicial philosophy is well-formed. I am not yet confident that Ms. Miers has a proven track record and I look forward to having these questions answered.

I agree with Brownback's approach. I have no doubt that Miers is politically conservative, but judicial philosophy is not the same as political philosophy. In order to be deemed qualified to sit on the bench of the highest court in the land, I feel that one needs to have accomplished a bit more than simply passing the bar exam. The issues presented to Ms. Miers will be difficult ones that will require keen judicial analysis. To this point, I have seen no evidence to assure me that Ms. Miers has ever given much thought to issues of Constitutional importance.

I wait to be impressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home