The Commonwealth of Virginia's Ultimate Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

On day laborer sites

I've read a lot of coverage on Jerry Kilgore's comments regarding the proposed day laborer sites in Northern Virginia, I agree with his sentiments.

Judging from a survey cited by Judicial Watch in this letter, I can extrapolate that better than two-thirds of the day laborers at this location are illegal. That alone is enough to give me pause.

Here are some additional questions, and I admit that I am coming lately to this debate.

  • What in the world is the government doing building a center for these workers?
  • Why not just arrest the loiterers?
  • Why not get Project Harmony and Hope to raise the money from businessmen or other charities?
  • And if the government absolutely must get involved in finding a solution, then why not a park or empty parking lot?
  • The mayor of Herndon claims it would be unconstitutional to close the current 7-11 site. By what reasoning?
As an aside, the Herndon Planning Commission has rejected the government funded site. Further, Judicial Watch is planning to sue if the proposed site is approved.

2 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

There is one other question that needs to be asked: why has the All Dulles Area Muslim Society decided to contribute money in support of these day laborers?

ADAMS, the group along with its leader Imam Mohamed Magid, has been accused of associating with terrorists and organizations friendly to terrorists. The city of Herndon also has been the residence of people and organizations with terrorist ties. I feel this could be an interesting avenue of investigation.

12:37 AM

 
Anonymous a nun a mouse said...

The Gospel of Matthew got it perfectly: “"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in . . . .”

9:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home