On day laborer sites
I've read a lot of coverage on Jerry Kilgore's comments regarding the proposed day laborer sites in Northern Virginia, I agree with his sentiments.
Judging from a survey cited by Judicial Watch in this letter, I can extrapolate that better than two-thirds of the day laborers at this location are illegal. That alone is enough to give me pause.
Here are some additional questions, and I admit that I am coming lately to this debate.
- What in the world is the government doing building a center for these workers?
- Why not just arrest the loiterers?
- Why not get Project Harmony and Hope to raise the money from businessmen or other charities?
- And if the government absolutely must get involved in finding a solution, then why not a park or empty parking lot?
- The mayor of Herndon claims it would be unconstitutional to close the current 7-11 site. By what reasoning?