The Commonwealth of Virginia's Ultimate Blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

From the Redundancy Department...

MTV announced today that they are launching a network solely for gays. Huh? Did I miss something? Is there a more pro-gay network on television than MTV? Besides, the article seems to say that all the programming will feature gay poeple. How condescending is that? Since when did gay people only want to watch TV shows about other gay people? And believe it or not, not all gay people sit around watching Bravo and Home and Garden network all the time.

The second half of the article is interesting too as it names sponsors such as Orbitz, Subaru, Motorola and Miller Lite that will support the new network. Oh great, perfect timing MTV! The Southern Baptist Convention just ended its boycott of Disney, so we were looking for some new targets. Thanks!

For the hyper-sensitive folks out there, that last part was a joke.

4 Comments:

Anonymous The Jaded JD said...

Oh, we do watch BravoTV. Mostly for West Wing reruns though. And Food Network is definitely gaining market share. On the other hand, I haven't watched MTV since...well...they actually had music.

How about we make a deal: you don't boycott Miller Lite, Orbitz, or Subaru, and I won't give them any business? (Sorry, I'm keeping my cell phone.)

10:03 PM

 
Blogger Old Zach said...

I have no intention of boycotting any of these businesses. But, I have no doubt they will be boycotted by some groups, and as businesses they will have to decide if the risk is worth the reward.

11:01 PM

 
Blogger James Young said...

RE: Miller Lite

Well, some of us purists have always considere light beer kinda faggoty to begin with, notwithstanding how much we could use it....

1:22 PM

 
Blogger Jerminator said...

The Bravo channel isn't gay, I like it because I can turn on the west wing and be reminded that not all Democrats are screaming moonbats.

I think the gay channel is a stupid idea. Gays want to be accepted in to society. They don't want to be put on their own separate channel. This kinda seems condescending to me.

I wonder if there will be any shows about the HIV struggle. Or if they will just go with false front soap operas and sitcoms like Queer as Folk and Will And Grace. Of course I guess that wouldn't be fair to ask considering the state of "straight" tv.

4:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home